Between Pyle Church and Marlas Farm lies in the prettily wooded gorge known as The Collwyn carved out by the river Kenfig. A public footpath runs alongside the river from the mill bridge to St James’ Church passing the dam and leat that formerly supplied the water to drive the mill wheel at Llanmihangel Mill . The present structure probably dates from the 19th century, and was landscaped some years ago to create an attractive feature. Some sort of dam has probably stood here since the mill was first built,
A little further along the Collwyn towards St James’ Church a flight of steps leads down to a small spring at the very edge of the river. Known as Ffynnon Collwyn it was reputed to be a healing well, the waters of which were claimed to have medicinal properties, as such it attracted pilgrims from far and wide including a bard called Dafydd Benwyn. He claimed to have been cured by its waters and in 1580 wrote a poem extolling the spring's virtues
In 2003 Bridgend County Borough Council transferred ownership of much of its housing stock to the housing association Valleys2Coast, also in this transfer was the Collwyn.
Valleys2Coast took the decision in 2006 to sell the Collwyn at auction. Pyle Community Council were extremely concerned that a new owner could develop part as new housing. What followed was 3 years of intense negotiation.
On the 11th May 2010 Pyle Community Council were pleased to announce they had acquired the freehold of the Collwyn, preventing any future development and ensuring it’s future for use of the community.
The Dam and Leat sited in the Collwyn is listed as an Ancient Monument under the Archaeological Areas Act 1979