About Pyle Community Council
Following a recommendation of the Local Government Boundary Commission for Wales, Pyle was made a community in 2002, when the existing Cynffig community was split into two parts (the other being Cornelly).
The community of Pyle which lies within the County Borough of Bridgend also encompasses the neighbouring village of Kenfig Hill. Its nearest town is the seaside resort of Porthcawl
Pyle (Welsh: Y Pîl ) This large village is served by the A48 road, and lies less than one mile from Junction 37 of the M4 motorway, and is therefore only a half-hour journey from the capital city of Wales, Cardiff; in fact it lies approximately equidistant between the capital (Cardiff) and the second city (Swansea). Pyle also has a railway station on the Cardiff - Swansea section of the London - South Wales main line.
The medieval Parish Church of St James has walls which are reputed to built from stones of the Church of St James in the ancient borough of Kenfig, this church was initiated between 1147 and 1154 by William the Earl of Gloucester. As time went on the sand encroached on the town and the Church of St. James in Kenfig was eventually overwhelmed and was rebuilt at Pyle, again dedicated to St. James. It believed the Church was removed stone by stone which could account for oddity of the smaller stones, which would have been transported first, at the bottom of the walls and the largest at the top; hence the Church is known locally as the" Upside Down Church".
The village also has a leisure centre, Rugby Football Club, swimming pool, supermarket, library and petrol station. There is also a large industrial estate which hosts some notable names.
The street of Longlands Close in Pyle was the site of Pyle Inn a coaching inn which was used by passing travellers using the West Wales to London turnpike. Lord Nelson stayed a the Inn on his way to visit the naval installations in Pembrokeshire, as did Isambard Kingdom Brunel during the construction of the Great Western Railway line through South Wales.
Kenfig Hill (Welsh: Mynydd Cynffig) although equal in size to Pyle it has a much shorter history dating back to the mining industry of the 19th century. Kenfig Hill has its own places of worship the main two being St Theodore’s Church (Anglican Church in Wales) and Pisgah Chapel (Welsh Baptist). The Talbot Community Centre is owned by and run for the community. The sports fields of Croft Goch is home to both Kenfig Hill RFC (the Mules), and Kenfig Hill AFC. The village is also the ancestorial home the Kenfig Hill & District Male Voice Choir.
Historically and culturally the two communities differ, but in contrast to the local sporting and cultural rivalries the commercial and leisure facilities are enjoyed by both communities